I bought a large bag of Masa Harina a while ago with the intentions of making lots of corn tortillas. Unfortunately as it turns out, some of my family prefer flour tortillas so I have had a container full of cornmeal sitting around waiting for me to do something with it. I now have it sitting on the bench at work, waiting for me to be inspired!. While getting ingredients ready to make a batch of bread rolls for lunch, I saw it sitting there looking neglected. Inspiration finally struck and I came up with this recipe.
The recipe started out life as the Easy Everyday White Bread recipe from Everyday Cooking for Thermomix Families. I often use this recipe as a starting point to “play” recipe developer with as it is a very easy dough to work with. It has a fairly low hydration ratio so you can add extra moisture with oily or “wet” ingredients without adversely affecting the final outcome. It does need time to rise to prevent it from being a very dense bread. I have not increased the ratio of dry to wet ingredients with these rolls, but if you want to only do one rise or have “fluffier” bread, you could experiment with adding slightly more water (probably up to 360ml to 380ml).
Mexican Cornmeal Rolls
- 120 g tasty cheese cubed 2cm
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 300 g water
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 20 g oil
- 100 g masa harina mexican cornflour
- 500 g bakers flour
- 2 tsp gluten flour or 2 tsp bread improver if gluten flour not available
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbs water
- Grease or line a square cake pan and set aside
- Add cheese and paprika to TM bowl and grate 5 sec, speed 8
- Remove from bowl and reserve in a small bowl.
- Add water, yeast and sugar to TM bowl and warm 3 min, 37C, speed 1
- Add oil, masa harina, flour, gluten flour and salt to TM bowl, mix on dough setting 6 minutes.
- Remove from TM bowl and place in an oiled container. Allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into sixteen pieces and roll into balls
- Add oil and water to a small bowl. Dampen each dough ball and then roll in grated cheese mix.
- Place coated dough balls in prepared cake pan.
- Allow to rise again for 30 minutes or until doubled in size
- Bake at 200C for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a cooling wire to cool.