I’ve been asked a few times why I have kept my TM31 even though I have the TM5 and TM6. I have kept it for two reasons, one: it has been a workhorse and has paid for itself many times over in the 13 years I’ve had it, and two: I have a very tiny kitchen in our little caravan and retiring the TM31 to the caravan has meant that I can still produce cafe & restaurant quality meals in a small space. It is far more relaxing to have a leisurely breakfast with a couple of lattes while sitting in front of a caravan than in a busy cafe!
Scrambled Egg, Smashed Avocado & Mexican Bean Wraps
My husband was going to spend the day fishing on his kayak, so I wanted to make a protein filled breakfast for him. Trawling the Internet, I found this recipe on the Australian Women’s Weekly recipe site “Scrambled Eggs, Smashed Avocado & Beans Breakfast Wrap” I thought it would fit the bill nicely. I don’t like using the cooktop in our caravan, so it has become the home to our baby coffee machine and my beloved TM31. I therefore couldn’t do the scrambled eggs in a pan BUT I could do them in the Varoma of the TM31. I’m not a fan of doing scrambled eggs in the TM bowl because of the cleanup involved, but the Varoma does a great job of steamed scrambled egg with minimal cleanup.
Scrambled Eggs, Smashed Avocado and Mexican Wrap
- 1 small avocado 100g
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 220 g tin baked beans
- 1 medium tomato 150g, halved
- 1/2 small red onion 50g
- 1 green jalapeño chilli halved (remove seeds if desired)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 4 eggs
- 20 g milk
- 4 rye mountain bread wraps 100g
- Place a heatproof bowl in Varoma bowl (approximately 400 to 500ml). Place a heatproof shallow bowl (approx 400 to 500ml) in Varoma tray. Ensure Varoma fits together securely. Set aside.
- Add lime zest to TM bowl. Mill 5 seconds, speed 8. Scrape down bowl and repeat if necessary.
- Add avocado and juice to TM bowl. Mix 5 seconds, speed 4.
- Remove from bowl and reserve.
- Rinse bowl
- Add coriander leaves, tomato, chilli and onion to bowl. Chop 5 seconds, speed 5.
- Add baked beans and combine 5 seconds, reverse, speed 3.
- Spoon into bowl in Varoma bowl.
- Rinse bowl (omit this step if you don’t mind a little tomato flavour to your eggs)
- Add eggs and milk to TM bowl and mix 10 seconds, speed 6
- Pour eggs into bowl in Varoma tray
- Rinse TM bowl and add 700ml of tap water
- Place Varoma onto TM bowl and cook 20 minutes, Varoma, speed 2. Stop machine after 8 minutes, 12 minutes and 16 minutes to stir eggs. Extend time if necessary until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Break up egg curds into small pieces
- Spoon avocado mix, scrambled egg and a small amount of baked beans over 2 pieces mountain bread and wrap it tightly.
- Serve with remaining baked beans on the side.